by Jessica Ramer – May 2, 2012 3:00 AM
South Florida, with a scarcely year-round sun, is a ideal plcae for clean, quiet, renewable solar energy. Solar appetite is not usually eco-friendly, it is good for post-hurricane appetite outages. Because this form of appetite can be a bit expensive, going solar — in whole or in partial — requires clever planning.
1. Decide if solar appetite is unequivocally for you. Visit a website sponsored by a Solar Energy Industries Association and use a calculator to assistance establish how most your solar plan will cost you. A South Florida family anticipating to obtain 25 percent of a appetite from a object typically spends during slightest $8,000. If we wish to go totally solar, a cost will expected be some-more than $40,000. If we are in a marketplace for a solar prohibited H2O heater, we might spend about $4,500. In contrast, a elementary electric H2O heater might be purchased for reduction than $250.
2. Take advantage of taxation credit and rebates. The sovereign supervision offers a taxation credit for installing solar panels or solar H2O heaters. An additional inducement is that Florida does not assign sales taxation for solar-powered equipment. Remember, too, that we will replenish partial of your investment by reduced electric bills. According to Alan Towsley of Sunworks, a family of 4 will typically use adequate prohibited H2O to compensate for a cost of a complement within 3 to 7 years.
3. Reduce your appetite usage. You will need to squeeze fewer electricity-producing photovoltaic cells if we use reduction power. Replace customary light bulbs with LEDs, that final longer than customary bulbs and use reduction power. Unplug equipment we frequency use, as they devour appetite even when they are incited off, and deposit in good insulation.
4. Do your homework. Research a routine of going solar delicately so we know what we might pretty expect. Get bids from during slightest 3 entirely protected companies. Also demeanour into tax credits and rebates from your appetite company that can make financing a plan easier.
5. Think small. Consider shopping simple, low-cost solar inclination for your home if we are not prepared to deposit in big-ticket items. You might squeeze a good solar cooker for about $300. With a solar oven, we can bake though heating adult your whole residence — and using a atmosphere conditioner to negate a heat. Another useful object for hurricane-prone South Florida is a solar battery horse for dungeon phones and laptops. Prices change by photovoltaic cells used, though some are accessible for reduction than $200.
Here are some experts in a area who might be means to assistance we get started.
Broward Solar Inc.
1090 N.E. 48 Court
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33334
Broward Solar, a family-owned business with some-more than 3 decades of experience, specializes in customary H2O heaters and pool heaters for both homes and businesses.
Miami Water Heater
1324 N.W. 29 St.
Miami, FL 33142
This full-service, family owned association has been in business given 1949. In further to charity required H2O heaters, it also facilities a full line of solar H2O heaters and storage tanks.
22251 S.W. 87 Place
Cutler Bay, FL 33190
Established in 1982, Sunworks is a entirely protected and insured solar contractor. This association offers a full line of solar products, including prohibited H2O heaters and pool heaters. It also installs photovoltaic cells for people who are looking to go off a grid altogether.
Article by Jessica Ramer
A approved math clergyman who has taught during both a high propagandize and village college level. She now resides in Fort Lauderdale. Her work can be found during Examiner.com.